I can’t believe it’s been such a long time since I last updated. My weaving has remained pretty constant over this period, I have been busy developing new ideas and weaving off existing ones. As I discussed in an earlier post my intention was to weave off much larger pieces of fabric from one of my favourite collections.
I have made excellent progress with this and I am now at a point that I can begin work experimenting and prototyping products. what a wonderful feeling it is to see all my months of hard work planning and designing finally be at a usable stage.
I began by making a small collection of cushion covers, I think the scale of my designs and choice of yarn lend themselves better to home furnishing products, although I have not completely ruled out developing a range for fashion in the future.
One thing I think is missing from the designs is a way of identifying that they are mine, perhaps branding them in some way is crucial. I need to do a bit of research into printed tags I can sew onto the products.
Attraction, repulsion the fascination with men’s facial hair takes on many forms. It was in fact a friends unwavering appreciation that first inspired this design.
Originally intended as a piece of wall art the design process was enormous fun. The moustache is definitely the male accessory of the moment. Researching the various styles and shapes proved enlightening. Pencil, walrus and handlebar these words all had very different meanings before I began this project.
The challenge came when transforming my research into a suitable weavable design, The warp was set up as a simple point draft threaded over all 24 shafts. I used an extra weft technique to create the moustache shape.
Along the way I experimented with various scales, spacing and colours, settling on a simple monochrome palette for my first trial
This is only the beginning, there is still more experimenting to be done. I definitely think the spacing needs to be addressed as some of them appear a little bunched up at present. The order of the moustache styles could also be improved. To be continued….